Sunday 4 May 2014

Public Health Warning


Today I watched the entire 1985 series of ‘The Secret Diary Of Adrian Mole Aged Thirteen And Three Quarters’.

I was half way through episode two when I began thinking that Adrian looked a bit like Harry Potter: I don’t know if this was because of the specs, the English accent, or the fact that I was used to seeing his mother (aka Julie Walters) playing the part of Molly Weasley.

I still cannot believe Sue Townsend is dead.  The woman is – sorry, was – a genius.  And that’s the third time I have started reading a book just days before the author has died.  Four years ago this happened with JD Salinger and ‘Catcher In The Rye’.  Before that it was Janet Frame and ‘Faces In The Water’.  Perhaps I should come with a public health warning?!

2 comments:

  1. If I ever write a novel I'm not letting you read it! :-O ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say that's very wise. I have nine other Adrian Mole books to get through plus everything else Sue Townsend has ever written so you and the rest of the literary population should be safe for a couple of months...

      Delete